Sunday, July 21, 2013

One Month Anniversary

I have officially been living in Taiwan for one month (and technically one day) now! I can't believe that it has only been a month since I landed on this beautiful island. Time has gone by so quickly, but at the same time it feels like I've been here forever. I think this is partly due to the fact that the transition to life here went so smoothly. Yes, it is a completely different culture and I experience new things every day, but the people and the environment are so friendly and welcoming that it has been super easy to adjust to life here. I think that it also helps that I have traveled throughout Asia a bit, so I knew a little of what to expect from the food and culture, while some of the other girls did not have that luxury. So thanks Jerry and Hai for introducing me to Asia and all its wonders last year!

To celebrate our one month anniversary, a few of the girls and I had brunch at this coffee shop called Mocha Janes. Then we spent the afternoon wandering around the Fine Art Museum. It was a great way to spend the day because it was free, air conditioned and filled with lots of beautiful artwork.

I've decided to create a list of all of the "firsts" I have experienced while living here this past month. Hopefully this list will continue to grow throughout the year!

1. Eating and liking eggs. I used to hate how eggs tasted, but apparently I like Asian eggs...or just the delicious way they were cooked.



2. Being a real teacher with my own classroom


3. And to go along with #2, first time seeing my name on my diploma. So exciting!


4. Going to a fancy bar. I don't think I can count any of the bars in Lawrence as fancy.


5. Driving (and owning) a scooter!


6. Going to KTV (Karaoke Television)


7. Cooking my own food in a foreign country


8. Eating mango shaved ice


9. Having a business card with my name on it


10. Eating raw passionfruit


11. Experiencing a typhoon


12. Having a foreign address (and having it being in a big city...so that's #12 and #13)

That's all of the real big firsts that I can think of for now. I'm trying my best to write in this thing every week but I have been so busy that sometimes it is hard to find time. But I will try my best. Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment